If Ilocanos have Fidel Go in the art of pottery, Augusto Bigyan is also the popular potter of CALABARZON.
Ugu Bigyan, now well-known for his stone craft and design is from Tiaong, Quezon province. In fact his name Ugu Bigyan now synonyms to his works. It denotes his art.
Visit his home in barangay Lusacan and the impression of his artistry will come in your eyes. The wide array of his crafts are displayed all over his place and amazement will just become a normal reaction on your face.
All of his unique pottery craft bearing his signature. His crafts have gone a long way to homes, resorts, hotels and restaurants, making them soundly adorable and amazing cool.
His crafts include leaves, animals, birds and fishes, pots, earthenwares, kitchenwares, souvenir items among others.
He’s doing this since he was at 20s. And each years of his craftmanship adding also to his legacy in this kind of art.
“Arts flourish during Imelda’s time (Imelda Marcos),” he said during interview where he was also flourishing as an artist. He’s decades into this business and said he’s been into hard times when the products are hard to sell.
He wants the millenials to appreciate his art aside from art patrons and those loyal to his crafts.
But it may be hard livelihood but he continue his potteries because he knows there will always be a time his crafts will be needed.
HOW HE DO HIS CRAFT?
In step by step process he showed his works:
1. Mixed white clay together with silica and bullclay.
2. Soak with water for a week or more. The longer the soak the better it is.
3. Drained the water to get the desired consistency of the clay.
4. Mashed very well so no bubbles will occur.
5. Ready for molding.
6. Mold to desired design.
7. After molding, trimming and cleaning.
8. Air dry (not sun dry because it causes crack)
9.Bring to fiing area and heat for 7 hours at 1,000 degrees centigrade.
10. Cool for one day.
11. He will put his signature. Wax.
12. Fire again for 10 to12 hours depending on colors or design.
13. Add some design, roots (if needed), pricing, display or deliver.